Bygone Sash Windows Care Instructions
HOW TO CLEAN SASH WINDOWS & SHUTTERS
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR SASH WINDOWS AND SHUTTERS
Bygone sash windows and shutters are the perfect partners and both are easy to clean but require a bit of loving, tender care to keep them looking at their best all year round.
The best thing about cleaning modern PVC-U sash windows is the tilt facility that enables safe cleaning from the inside.
To maintain the original sparkling condition, PVC-U should be cleaned at periodic intervals and although the frequency depends on the geographical location and the local environment, as a general rule the frame should be cleaned whenever the glass is being done.
HOW TO BEST CLEAN YOUR BYGONE WINDOWS:
- Slide the bottom sash clear of the cill up-stand. This releases the interlocks that prevent drafts from between the top and bottom sash.
- Slide the tilt knobs towards the centre of the sash (tilt knobs are located on the top of the bottom sash at either side). Gently pull towards you until the tilt rest arms on the side of the sash engage and take the weight of the sash.
- The top sash can be operated in the same manner when the bottom sash has already been opened.
- Wipe over the plastic profiles with a damp cloth, working from the top of the top sash to the bottom of the bottom sash.
- Clean the glass using water based glass cleaner or soapy water.
- Wipe the white rubber seal on the bottom of the bottom sash to maintain a good white finish.
- Ensure the drainage holes located on the bottom of each sash are clear to facilitate drainage.
Use silicone spray or a beeswax polish to lubricate the sliding components. If the window starts to stick or squeak, NEVER use oil based products on your Bygone windows.
Clean the outside pane of the top sash first. When complete, return the sash to a vertical position and then clean the inside pane. Apply the same procedure to the bottom sash.
THE BEST CHEMICALS TO USE TO CLEAN PVC-U:
The best method of cleaning is to use a clean cloth and a solution detergent such as Flash or Fairy liquid diluted to the normal concentration for floor cleaning or washing up.
If the surfaces are excessively dirty or unsightly and stains remain, then a mild non scouring cream such as Cif can be applied.
NB: Avoid at all times solvent based cleaners and abrasive materials because of scratching and especially the use of steel wool pads as these may cause permanent scratches.
PLANTATION WOODEN SHUTTERS:
The best way to start is by using the soft brush vacuum cleaner attachment and removing the initial build-up of dust and other household dirt.
Spray some wood polish on a clean dusting or microfiber cloth and dust each shutter individually. Should there be dust accumulated in the grooves, use a tooth brush sprayed with the wood polish to irritate and then remove stubborn dirt.
It is important to remember not to use water and soap to clean wooden shutters because this could cause damage to the wood.
VINYL OR PAINTED SHUTTERS:
As with the wooden shutters, start the cleaning process by using the soft brush attachment on the vacuum cleaner for removing the excess dust and dirt.
Mix warm water and a solution detergent such as Fairy to form a foamy solution.
A toothbrush dipped back into the solution can be used to irritate and remove stubborn dirt from the grooves.
Dampen a cloth in the soapy solution and carefully wash the shutters removing all remaining dirt.
Using a new clean cloth dipped in fresh water only, rinse away any residue left by the cleaning liquid and water solution. Once complete use a dry towel to completely dry the shutters.